What is Freediving?
The PFI Introduction to Freediving course is an experience program that educates curious audiences on safety and problem management of freediving and breath-holding. This program does not include specific skills development or certification, but provides a foundation for people who want to understand the benefits of freediving before taking a recreational freediving course. This course teaches:
- Safety and Problem Management for Apnea Training
- Near Blackout and Blackout Management
- Introduction to Static Apnea (maximum 2:00)
- Introduction to Dynamic Apnea (maximum 25m/82’)
Is this course for you?
- You are interested in understanding the basics of freedive training and technique
Course Format and Duration
The Introduction to Freediving course is a half-day program, consisting of:
- 5-hour Classroom session, focused on knowledge development.
- 2-hour Confined Water session, practicing rescue and safety techniques for breath-holding.
There is no Open-Water training in this course.
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions varies slightly by location.
The program is typically run over a 1/2 day.
- Minimum age of 16-years-old
- Comfortable in water
- Good health (please take a look at the PFI Medical Form for any contradictions).
What to bring (some Rental Gear is available)
- Mask & Snorkel
- Timing device or Dive Computer
- Full Wetsuit—suggested, but not required
PFI Introduction to Freediving course price $75. The tuition price covers the following:
- Personalized instruction from advanced freediving specialists
- Knowledge Development Classroom Session
- Skills Development Confined Water Session
Find out specific information such as addresses, schedules and hotel info for each of our clinic locations.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact me directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
Registration and Payment Details
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.