2019 Wrightsville Beach Spearfishing Tournament
Registration Deadline: June 1st, 2019. Late registrations will be accepted up to June 5th but you will not receive a tournament t-shirt. Any contestants who have signed up before June 2nd will receive a t-shirt.
Dates: Friday - Sunday, June 7th-9th, 2019
Weigh-Ins: Fri 5-7pm - Sat 5-7pm - Sun 2-3pm at Seapath Yacht Club
Location for Weigh-In: Seapath Yacht Club - 330 Causeway Dr, Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480
Awards Celebration: Sunday 6:30pm at Wrightsville Beach Brewery, 6201 Oleander Dr, Wilmington, NC 28403. Please try your best to carpool to the brewery. Overflow parking is available at Salt Works next door.
Waivers and Parking Passes: They will be sent by email or available here, after you register. Your registration will remain incomplete until the forms are returned electronically.
• There are 3 Divisions: Inshore, Bottomfish and Pelagic, each with a unique species list
• Divisional scoring is based upon the total weight of your 2 heaviest fish of different species
• Overall score is based upon the total of your 3 Divisional scores
• Prizes will be awarded for Divisional and Overall placing
• You may weigh 2 different species of fish per division per day
• Previous scores may only be replaced by heavier fish within a division
• Competitors must weigh fish the day of harvest and may not trade fish
• Scores will be posted online at the close of weigh-in each day
• Final scores are determined by the best total over 3 days, it is not aggregate scoring
Divisional Species List
Inshore: Flounder, Sheepshead, Tautog
Bottomfish: Grouper (all legal species), Hogfish, Snapper (all legal species), Black Sea Bass
Pelagic: African Pompano, Mackerel (all), Permit, Mahi Mahi, Wahoo, Tuna (all, with license), Rainbow Runner, Cobia
1st: Large Sponsor Package + Trophy + 8% Cash
2nd: Medium Sponsor Package + 5% Cash
3rd: Small Sponsor Package
Top Scuba: Sponsor Package + Trophy + 10% Cash
Top Freediver: Sponsor Package + Trophy + 10% Cash
1st Place Overall: Trophy + Grand Prize + 15% Cash
2nd Place Overall: Sponsor Package + 10% Cash
3rd Place Overall: Sponsor Package + 5% cash
Top Jr. Spearo: Trophy + Sponsor Package + 10% Cash
- This category is open to all divers under the age of 18. This will be inclusive to both scuba and freedive. All other rules apply.
Most Lionfish Per Boat: Trophy
Largest Lobster: Trophy
Best U/W Photo: Trophy
Sportsmanship: Patrick Johnson Perpetual Trophy
Dr. Joe Davis Stone it Award: $100 Cash
- Divers must point out the shot to the tournament officials at weigh-in. If the shot placement doesn't look right video footage may be used as proof.
- This is and has always been a Gentleman’s Tournament, meaning that competitors are expected to play by the rules on their honor, and to report any activity that is contrary to the tradition of sportsmanship.
- Legal spearfishing time begins at civil dawn.
- Tournament Boundaries: Cape Lookout Shoals to the South Carolina border. See the below graphic for more detail. If ANY complaint is lodged by a competitor about a vessel leaving boundaries it will be investigated. The tournament directors will reserve the right to inspect the suspected vessels GPS. Refusal to allow the inspection will result in a DQ for all divers on the vessel. This will be a quick inspection unless boat trails leave the boundaries. We would prefer if the boat owner was there to operate the GPS to ensure security of your dive sites.
- All applicable local, state and federal fishing, boating and diving regulations must be observed at all times. You must have a valid NC Fishing License at the time of the Tournament. All NC and Federal size limits must be adhered to. Due to the constant rule changes by fisheries we recommend you double check species and sizes the day before the tournament. All federal and state requirements must be met to hunt and boat Tuna.
- Safety is the first and foremost concern. Please do not blemish our perfect record with negligence, poor decision making or irresponsible/inappropriate behavior.
- Accepted diving disciplines are limited to open circuit scuba and traditional apnea. Rebreathers, staged deco, mixed gas breathe-ups and anything else you can conjure that is not considered a “traditional” method, is likely not acceptable.
- Scuba divers must be certified by an accredited agency and adhere to their training therefore depth will be limited to 130' or shallower. Freedivers are encouraged to take a certification course from an accredited agency prior to the tournament.
- Accepted spearfishing equipment includes any device using a rubber band driven metal shaft or self propelled pointed object deployed from below sea level. This includes pneumatic spearguns. Rod and reels, handlines, harpoons, powerheads, bow fishing rigs and any other device that is non-standard may not be used at any time for the purposes of this tournament.
- It is requested that competitors boat their fish unassisted, however, if the situation dictates, assistance may be provided to ensure diver safety or the secure capture of the fish.
- Commercial boats are allowed for charter, however all hunters must be working from the NCDMF recreational limits. During the tournament the charter boats cannot engage in fishing operations other than the activities of our competitors. In other words, they cannot operate under their commercial license during the tournament.
- All cash and prizes will be distributed according to the above breakdown. However we will also have a raffle at the awards ceremony to put prizes in the hands of more divers.
- It is mandatory that competitors weigh their fish on the day it was harvested and within the set weigh in times and locations without exception. If a fish is suspected of unethical preservation or spoiling the associated competitor can be disqualified.
- Competitors that are not within speaking distance of weigh station at the close of weigh in will not be eligible to weigh their fish for that day. We can not give consideration for boat trouble, traffic or defective timepieces.
- Violation of any tournament rule will be reviewed and may result in disqualification.
- Violation of any law or regulation may result in appropriate action by local authorities.
- Failure to report any violation will be considered conspiring and can result in disqualification.
- Any and all questions can be addressed with Sam Blount, Tournament Director, 910-338-1600 or email@example.com
• Each contestant will receive a tournament t-shirt if they sign up by June 1st. Additional Shirts may be available for purchase after the event.
• North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries will have agents from the research division taking ear bones for research purposes, though not mandatory, we ask you to please participate in their study.
• Participation in the weigh-ins and the awards ceremony is highly encouraged to promote the community atmosphere of the event.
• Lionfish are a venous species, if you decide to hunt them please take proper precautions. If you do not know how to hunt them safely then please do not. They are edible and delicious however.
• Pre-size your fish on the boat and bring only your biggest fish to the scales. Please do not bring multiple fish of nearly the same size to the official scales. Invest in your own hand scales or share one with others on your boat.
• Please be respectful on the dock and do not spread out your catch, it can stain the wood and some may find it offensive.
• Respect other boats, both in the tournament and those that are not. If you are diving make allowances for others trying to work the same area.
• Because of personal relationships, Seapath Marina is proud to host this event and kindly asks that you patronize the marina as much as possible for such things as ice, drinks, fuel, etc. Let's support who supports us!
• The Seapath parking lot is for members and their guest only, parking for participants will be allowed using the Tournament Parking Pass that will be emailed after you register. Please display the parking pass on your vehicle dashboard while on the property. If an attendant is present let them know you are in the tournament. Anyone not entered in the tournament must use the public parking across the street.
• Please respect all marina rules. Carts are available for use at the marina entrance and are for equipment only. Fish must be transported in a cooler. Please return the carts to the cart storage location at the marina entrance in a clean working order.
• Fish cleaning stations are available at the dock. Please be respectful of other marina patrons. If non-tournament patrons wish to clean fish please do not monopolize the cleaning stations. Also, please clean the area after you clean your fish.
• Do not park your boat at the fuel dock unless you are getting fuel. The dock staff will try to find us room to dock our boats during weigh-in. Try to bring extra fenders for your boats in case we need to “raft” at the dock. They can likely find an empty slip for you to use while you are there for weigh-in or the awards ceremony. Do not use a slip that the Marina staff has not permitted you to use.
• If you need dockage for your boat for the weekend you can arrange this with the Marina at 910-265-3747
• No spearfishing around the docks or boats in Seapath Marina.