Welcome to the 9th Annual Wrightsville Beach Spearfishing Tournament
Each year the best regional scuba and free divers convene to match spearfishing prowess on the battlefield of our Atlantic backyard. Three days of underwater hunting are measured with daily weigh-ins and the champions are crowned at the awards celebration. Join us for a weekend of sportsmanship on the high seas! This year we will be donating a portion of the proceeds to the Brian Davis Artificial Reef Fund. We lost a great diver and friend in June this year to a scuba diving accident. In his honor we will be sinking a ship near Frying Pan Tower. As of this writing we have raised over $70,000
Sign-Up Deadline: 11:59pm on Friday, October 6th
Dates: Friday - Sunday, October 13-15
Location: SeaPath Yacht Club - 330 Causeway Dr, Wrightsville Beach NC 28480
Weigh Ins: Fri 4-6pm - Sat 4-6pm - Sun 1-2pm at Seapath facedock
Awards Celebration: Sun 4-6pm at Waterman's Brewery
Liability Waiver: The waiver will be sent via email after your signup. To complete your registration you will need to fill out and return the forms.
Please LIKE our Facebook Page for all Event Updates: www.facebook.com/WBSpearfishing
- There are 3 Divisions: Inshore, Bottomfish and Pelagic, each with a unique species list
- Divisional scoring is based upon the total weight of your 2 heaviest fish of different species
- Overall score is based upon the total of your 3 Divisional scores
- Prizes will be awarded for Divisional and Overall placing
- You may weigh 2 different species of fish per division per day
- Previous scores may only be replaced by heavier fish within a division
- Competitors must weigh fish the day of harvest and may not trade fish
- Scores will be posted online at the close of weigh in each day
- Final scores are determined by the best total over 3 days, it is not aggregate scoring
Divisional Species List
Inshore: Flounder, Sheepshead, Tautog
Bottomfish: Grouper (all legal species), Hogfish, Snapper (all legal species), Black Sea Bass
Pelagic: African Pompano, Rainbow Runner, Mackerel (all), Permit, Mahi Mahi, Wahoo, Tuna (all, with license)
Divisional: Scuba and Freedive compete
1st: Large Sponsor Package + Trophy + 8% of cash
2nd: Medium Sponsor Package + 5% of cash
3rd: Small Sponsor Package + 2% of cash
Overall: Scuba and Freedive each have overall trophies in the mens Division.
1st Men: Trophy + Grand Prize + 10% of cash
2nd Men: Sponsor Package + 5% of cash
1st Women: Trophy + 10% of cash
2nd Women: Sponsor Package + 5% of cash
Most Lionfish: Trophy + 2% of cash
Largest Lobster: Trophy + 2% of cash
Best U/W Photo: Trophy + 2% of cash
Sportsmanship: Trophy + 2% of cash
- This is and has always been a Gentleman’s Tournament, meaning that competitors are expected to play by the rules on their honor, and to report any activity that is contrary to the tradition of sportsmanship.
- Entry deadline is 11:59pm on Wednesday, September 6th. No late entries or walk-ons are allowed. You are not considered “Entered” until you have completed, signed and returned the Entry Form and Liability Release along with full payment. The waiver will be sent via email after your signup. To complete your registration you will need to fill out and return the forms. The Tournament Director will send you an e-mail confirming your entry.
- Legal spearfishing time begins at civil dawn. UPDATE: There are no longer Tournament Boundaries, we only ask that you stay within a reasonable distance from Wrightsville Beach... like, not Moorehead or Murrell's, so that we are all on the same playing field.
- All applicable local, state and federal fishing, boating and diving regulations must be observed at all times. You must have a valid NC Fishing License at the time of the Tournament. All NC and Federal size limits must be adhered to. All federal and state requirements must be met to hunt and boat Tuna.
- Safety is the first and foremost concern, please do not blemish our perfect record with negligence, poor decision making or irresponsible/inappropriate behavior.
- Accepted diving disciplines are limited to open circuit scuba and traditional apnea. Rebreathers, staged deco, mixed gas breathe-ups and anything else you can conjure that isn’t a “traditional” method is likely not acceptable.
- Scuba divers must be certified by an accredited agency and adhere to their training. Freedivers are encouraged to take a certification course from an accredited agency prior to the tournament.
- Accepted spearfishing equipment includes any device using a rubber band driven metal shaft or self propelled pointed object deployed from below sea level. Rod and reels, handlines, harpoons, powerheads, bow fishing rigs and any other device that is non-standard may not be used during this tournament.
- It is requested that competitors boat their fish unassisted, however if the situation dictates, assistance may be provided to ensure diver safety or the secure capture of the fish.
- Commercial boats are allowed for charter, however all hunters must be working from the NCDMF recreational limits. During the tournament the charter boats cannot engage in fishing operations other than the activities of our competitors. In other words, they cannot operate under their commercial license during the tournament.
- There are no weather contingency dates, the tournament will run regardless of sea conditions. We do not recommend placing your vessel and passengers in jeopardy, there are fish to pursue in areas protected from the waves and wind. All cash and prizes will be distributed under the discretion of the Tournament Director.
- It is mandatory that competitors weigh their fish on the day it was harvested, without exception. If a fish is suspected of unethical preservation or spoiling the associated competitor can be disqualified.
- Competitors that are not within speaking distance of weigh station at the close of weigh in will not be eligible to weigh their fish for that day. We can not give consideration for boat trouble, traffic or defective timepieces.
- Violation of any tournament rule will be reviewed and may result in disqualification.
- Violation of any law or regulation may result in appropriate action by local authorities.
- Failure to report any violation will be considered conspiring and can result in disqualification.
- Any and all questions can be addressed with Sam Blount, Tournament Director, 205-478-7897 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each contestant will receive a Gift Bag that may include a tournament t-shirt and a variety of sponsored materials that generally are awesome in nature.
- North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries will have agents from the research division taking ear bones for research purposes, though not mandatory, we ask you to please participate in their study.
- Participation in the weigh ins and the awards ceremony is highly encouraged to promote the community atmosphere of the event.
- Lionfish are a venous species, if you decide to hunt them please take proper precautions. If you do not know how to hunt them safely then please do not. They are edible and delicious however.
- Costs of tournament will be deducted from entry fees prior to prize disbursement. Costs include, but are not limited to: t-shirts, trophies, refreshments, location expense, bands, etc... Any unclaimed prize money or leftover funds will be donated to the Brian Davis Reef Project
- Please Pre-size your fish on the boat and bring only your biggest fish to the scales. Please do not bring multiple fish of nearly the same size to the official scales. Invest in your own hand scales or share one with others on your boat.
- Please be respectful on the dock and do not spread out your catch, it can stain the wood and some may find it offensive.
- Respect other boats, both in the tournament and those that aren’t, that may already be fishing. If you are fishing make allowances for others trying to work the same area.
- Because of personal relationships the officers have with the Marina we ask that you patronize the Marina as much as possible.
- The Seapath parking lot is for members and their guest only, parking for participants will be allowed using the Tournament Parking Pass that can be downloaded from the tournament webpage. Please display the parking pass on your vehicle dashboard while on the property. If an attendant is present let them know you are in the tournament. Anyone not entered in the tournament must use the public parking across the street.
- Please respect all marina rules. Carts are available for use at the marina entrance and are for equipment only. Fish must be transported in a cooler. Please return the carts to the cart storage location at the marina entrance.
- Fish cleaning stations are available at the dock. Please be respectful of other marina patrons. If non-tournament patrons wish to clean fish please do not monopolize the cleaning stations. Also, please clean the area after you clean your fish.
- Do not park your boat at the fuel dock unless you are getting fuel. The dock staff will try to find us room to dock our boats during weigh in. Try to bring extra fenders for your boats in case we need to “raft” at the dock. They can likely find an empty slip for you to use while you are there for weigh in or the awards ceremony. Do not use a slip that the Marina staff has not permitted you to use.
- If you need dockage for your boat for the weekend you can arrange this with the Marina at 910-265-3747
- No spearfishing around the docks or boats in SeaPath Marina.